Google is the most used search engine in Ireland, so can bring traffic to your website. That traffic can turn into leads and/or sales for your business. Therefore, getting more traffic from Google is an objective that many businesses have. One of the ways to do this is with SEO – Search Engine Optimisation.
Before looking at SEO in more detail, however, it is important to understand what it does and how a Google search results page works.
Understanding a Google Search Results Page
A Google search results page can have several different types of “result”. This includes:
- Organic search results – these are the main search results. There are 10 on the page with the most important (according to Google) being at the top in number one position.
- Paid search results – these results differ from organic results as they feature an Ad icon. There are up to four paid search results at the top of the page plus several at the bottom.
- Videos – Google will display videos on video searches and some other searches.
- Local listings – when a user does a search for a local business, Google displays local search results which include a map plus details of one or more business.
- Shopping – for some product searches, Google will display shopping results with images, prices, and star ratings.
As there are many elements to a search results page, there are multiple ways for your website to appear in a more prominent position. Paid advertising on Google is one example.
In this blog, however, we will focus on improving the position of organic search results as this is the primary focus of SEO, i.e. to get your website in as high a position as possible for as many search terms as possible.
The Essential Things You Need to Know About SEO
SEO can sound like a complex topic, but when you break it down it is actually quite simple. In fact, most SEO strategies have two main objectives:
- Appear on as many search results pages as possible (more than you do now)
- Appear as close to the top of those pages as possible (higher than you do now)
How do you achieve these objectives, though? Here are three essential things to understand and consider:
The starting point is to understand keywords. Keywords are the phrases that people use when searching on Google. SEO involves targeting keywords. Good SEO involves targeting the best keywords.
The next step when using SEO to improve the position of your business on Google search results pages is to review, update, improve, and optimise your website. There are many elements to this and you will probably need the help of an SEO specialist to achieve it. Those elements include using keywords properly, ensuring the website loads fast, optimising for mobile devices, and more.
The final essential step in improving your website’s position in Google search is to create additional content. This can take many forms:
- New static pages
- News items
Creating content consistently and with a focus on keywords is the secret to success.
To get more help and advice with your business, please contact a member of the Gilroy Gannon team today.